The first of many basic SEO principles you need to understand is what exactly SEO is. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or web page in search engine results pages (SERPs).
There are 5 steps to mastering the basic SEO principles. They are as follows:
- Conduct keyword research
- Optimize your website’s content and structure
- Build high-quality backlinks
- Use social media and other online platforms
- Analyze and optimize your website
Get a free, personalized Domain Overview video
FULL (FREE) OFFER WORTH $1,000
FOR QUALIFYING COMPANIES
Basic SEO Principle #1: Conduct keyword research
What is keyword research and how do I do it?
Keyword research is the process of identifying and analyzing the words and phrases that people use to search for products or services like yours. This is one of the most vital basic SEO principles.
By understanding which keywords and phrases are most popular, you can optimize your website’s content and marketing efforts to rank higher in search results for those terms. This can help you attract more qualified visitors to your website and ultimately increase your sales or leads.
To do keyword research, you can use digital research tools, some of which are available for free. These tools allow you to enter a focus keyword or phrase, and they will generate a list of related keywords and phrases along with data on their search volume and competition level. You can use this data to identify the keywords that are most relevant to your business and that have a high search volume, but low competition.
It’s also important to consider the user’s intent when selecting keywords.
For example, someone searching for “best running shoes” is likely looking to make a purchase, while someone searching for “how to start running” may be in the research phase and not ready to buy yet. By understanding the user’s intent, you can optimize your website and marketing efforts to better target your audience.
Once you have identified your target keywords, you can incorporate them into your website’s content, including in the page titles, headings, and body text. However, it’s important to avoid keyword stuffing, which is the practice of overusing keywords in an attempt to manipulate search rankings. This can actually hurt your website’s ranking and make your content less valuable to readers. Instead, focus on creating high-quality, informative content that naturally includes your target keywords.
What tools can I use to do keyword research?
- Google’s Keyword Planner: This is a free tool provided by Google that allows you to enter a seed keyword or phrase and generates a list of related keywords and phrases along with data on their search volume and competition level.
- Ahrefs: This is a paid tool that provides a range of SEO and keyword research features, including keyword suggestion, search volume data, and keyword difficulty scores.
- SEMrush: This is another paid tool that offers a range of SEO and keyword research features, including keyword suggestion, search volume data, and keyword difficulty scores.
- Ubersuggest: This is a free tool that generates a list of keyword ideas based on a seed keyword or phrase, along with search volume and difficulty data.
- Keywordtool.io: This is a free tool that generates a list of keyword ideas based on a seed keyword or phrase, along with search volume data.
Basic SEO Principle #2: Optimize your website's content and structure
How do I optimize my website's content and structure?
Here are some steps you can take to optimize your website’s content and structure:
- Using high-quality keywords: explained above.
- Create informative, valuable content: Focus on creating high-quality, informative content that is valuable to your target audience. This will not only help improve your website’s ranking on search engines, but it will also help establish your website as a trusted source of information and increase the likelihood of conversions.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate: A well-organized website with a clear hierarchy and easy-to-use navigation will make it easier for search engines to crawl and index your pages, and it will also make it easier for users to find what they’re looking for.
- Use header tags and alt tags appropriately: Header tags (H1, H2, etc.) and alt tags help to indicate the hierarchy and structure of your content to search engines. Use header tags to create a clear hierarchy of your content, and use alt tags to describe images and other visual media.
- Optimize your website for mobile devices: More and more people are accessing the internet from their phones, so it’s important to make sure your website is mobile-friendly. This means ensuring that your website is easy to read and navigate on a smaller screen and that it loads quickly.
- Use internal linking: Internal linking is the practice of linking to other pages on your website from within your content. This helps search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your website and can also help keep users on your website longer.
- Use external linking: Linking to high-quality, relevant websites can help improve the credibility and authority of your website. However, be selective about the websites you link to, as linking to low-quality or spammy websites can hurt your website’s ranking.
Basic SEO Principle #3: Build high-quality backlinks
How do I build high quality backlinks?
When it comes to basic SEO principles, backlinks are a key factor. Backlinks are links from other websites to your website. Having high-quality backlinks from reputable websites can help improve your website’s ranking on search engines, as they signal to search engines that your website is trustworthy and relevant.
Here are some ways to build high-quality backlinks:
- Create valuable, high-quality content: One of the best ways to get other websites to link to your website is to create valuable, informative content that is worth linking to. This could be a blog post, an article, a resource page, or any other type of content that is useful to your target audience.
- Participate in relevant forums and communities: Look for forums or communities related to your industry and participate in the discussions. You can often include a link to your website in your forum signature or profile, which can help drive traffic and build backlinks.
- Reach out to other website owners: If you find a website that is relevant to your business and that you think would be a good fit for a backlink, reach out to the website owner and ask if they would be interested in linking to your website.
4. Participate in guest blogging: Look for blogs or websites that accept guest posts and offer to write an article for them. You can often include a link to your website in your author bio or within the body of the article.
5. Use social media: Share your content on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to help drive traffic to your website and potentially earn backlinks.
It’s important to keep in mind that building high-quality backlinks takes time and effort, and it’s important to focus on quality rather than quantity. It’s better to have a few high-quality backlinks from reputable websites than a large number of low-quality backlinks.
Basic SEO Principle #4: Use social media and other online platforms
How do I use social media for SEO?
Social media is also one of the most important basic SEO principles out there. It is a valuable tool for search engine optimization (SEO) in several ways:
- Drive traffic to your website: By sharing your website’s content on social media, you can drive traffic to your website and potentially earn backlinks, which can help improve your website’s ranking on search engines.
- Increase brand awareness: By actively using social media, you can increase your brand’s visibility and reach, which can help improve your website’s visibility on search engines.
3. Improve engagement: By engaging with your followers and responding to comments and questions on social media, you can create a positive user experience, which can help improve your website’s ranking on search engines.
4. Use keywords and hashtags: Use relevant keywords and hashtags in your social media posts to help improve the visibility of your content. This can also help users who are searching for these keywords or hashtags to find your content.
5. Use social media to influence your website’s ranking directly: Some search engines, like Google, use social media signals as a ranking factor. This means that having a strong social media presence and a high level of engagement can help improve your website’s ranking on these search engines.
Basic SEO Principle #5: Analyze and optimize your website
How do I analyze and optimize my website?
Analyzing and optimizing is one of the important basic SEO principles because it ensures that you stay up-to-date with your growing niche. This is how you do it:
- Use analytics tools: Use tools like Google Analytics to track your website’s traffic, user behavior, and conversion rates. This will help you understand how well your website is performing and identify areas for improvement.
- Analyze your website’s structure and content: Look for ways to improve the organization and structure of your website, including using clear and descriptive page titles, using header tags to create a clear hierarchy of your content, and using internal and external linking to help search engines understand the structure and context of your content.
- Optimize your website’s loading speed: A slow loading speed can drive visitors away and hurt your website’s ranking on search engines. Use tools like PageSpeed Insights to test your website’s loading speed and get recommendations for improvement.
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly: More and more people are accessing the internet from their phones, so it’s important to make sure your website is mobile-friendly. This means ensuring that your website is easy to read and navigate on a smaller screen and that it loads quickly.
- Use social media: Share your content on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to help drive traffic to your website and potentially earn backlinks.
- Monitor your progress: Use analytics tools and other measurement techniques to track the performance of your website over time and identify areas for improvement. This may include tracking your website’s traffic, conversion rates, and engagement metrics.
It’s important to regularly review and optimize your website to ensure that it is performing at its best and meeting the needs of your target audience.
Using these basic SEO principles, you will have the best chance of dominating your niche.