In today’s competitive B2B market, it is more important than ever for businesses to understand their target customers and their needs. One way to do this is to use the Jobs-to-be-done (JTBD) framework. The JTBD framework is a customer-centric approach to market segmentation that focuses on the jobs that customers are trying to get done.
What is the Jobs-to-be-done framework?
The JTBD framework was developed by Clayton Christensen, a professor at Harvard Business School. The framework is based on the idea that customers are not buying products or services, they are hiring them to “get a job done“.
As an example, a beautiful and expensive set of wine glasses can do different jobs for its owner:
- The functional job is to keep the wine in one place to provide a convenient and stylish way of consuming it.
- The emotional job the wineglasses are doing is providing the owner with satisfaction of loving the fact that they perfectly complement her other other tableware.
- The social job the wine glasses are doing is creating envy with her guests due to the fact that they cannot afford the glasses, and thereby raising the relative status of the owner.
Get a free, personalized Domain Overview video
FULL (FREE) OFFER WORTH $1,000
FOR QUALIFYING COMPANIES
How to use the JTBD framework for B2B market segmentation
The JTBD framework can be used for B2B market segmentation by following these steps:
- Identify the functional, social and emotional jobs that your target customers are trying to get done.
- Group your target customers into segments based on the jobs that they are trying to get done.
- Develop marketing and sales strategies that are tailored to each segment.
To identify the jobs that your target customers are trying to get done, you can use a variety of methods, including:
- Talk to your customers. The best way to learn about the jobs that your target customers are trying to get done is to talk to them directly. Ask them about their challenges, their goals, and what they are looking for in a solution.
- Conduct research. There is a wealth of information available online and in libraries that can help you to learn more about your target customers and their needs. Use this information to supplement your conversations with customers.
- Be creative. The JTBD framework is not a one-size-fits-all solution. The jobs that your target customers are trying to get done will vary depending on their industry, their size, and their location. Be creative in your approach to segmenting your market.
Benefits of using the JTBD framework for B2B market segmentation
The JTBD framework offers a number of benefits for B2B market segmentation, including:
- A better understanding of your target customers and their needs.
- The ability to develop more effective marketing and sales strategies.
- The ability to improve your customer satisfaction and loyalty.
The JTBD framework is a powerful tool that can help you to better understand your target customers and their needs. By using the JTBD framework for B2B market segmentation, you can develop more effective marketing and sales strategies that will help you to grow your business.